Monday, June 06, 2005

A Case of the Mondays

Well hello people...

What an uneventful weekend it was...

Who thought it could get that hot in Connecticut? And of course my fan is broken and I have no AC...So That means to stay cool I drank cold, RED, Kool-Aid all weekend and fanned myself with anything that could produce some semi-strong "wind action"...

So I am sitting here at the moment at my NON-job with a case of the Mondays. Wondering when the hell any of the "Irons in the Fire" that I have will come to fruition. Working in higher education (specifically in a mid level, student affairs position) can be, at times, a fickle business. Hopefully this one option that I have, which would include an apartment will come thru for me. If it does it means that I would have to make a big move to Worchester, Massachussetts *jumps for joy facetiously*...It is truly rough when you have so many elements in your life that are competing to take your joy away. But I cannot, will not, and should not let them win...

Also I am gettin a bit nervous because the big NYC shindig is coming up at the end of June and how fucked up would that be to miss my usual wildin' out in da club because of my employment status...so in other words..Baby boy must get on da grind (not that I ain't on it already)...but you know what I mean. All this struggle will be worth it when I recieve my first Grammy, my book is a number one NY Times Best Seller, and I recieve tenure at Yale...*smiles*..this is nothing more than a divine test for me; and at the moment I feel like I am passing with about a C+ (in other words I can do much much better)...

Before I end this entry I gotta give a shout out to a certain brotha in the District of Columbia who has been very supportive, understanding, non-judgemental, and just flat out wonderful. We'll call him DCHOMIE. Thank you for being a listening ear when I felt like nobody else has been listening...Just when you think there aren't any good brothas left you go and prove me wrong..THANKS for da support...

Anyways, Look out for part 2 of "Punk Bitches" (I just love saying that phrase...lol) sometime this week...

until then..

peaceloveandeternity,

Quaheem..

P.S. Since music is my first, TRUE love here are some of my favorite albums you should really check out (if you havent already)...

Prince--"Sign O' The Times"-- Most critics and hardcore fans (including myself) alike would agree that this is his seminal masterpiece, his tour de force, his artistic peak. The record is dark, moody, sexy, soulful, and just rocks all the way thru. it also includes one of the greatest love songs EVER.."Adore"..

Terence Trent D'Arby--"The Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby"-- Think Prince meets Sam Cooke meets Micael Jackson. This is, in my opinion one of the best debut albums by a R&B/Soul artist ever. Check out "Wishing Well" (which was the biggest hit off the album) and "Sign Your Name." NOBODY in the modern R&B era sings quite like him. He swings from a Raspy tenor to a soaring falsetto with such ease and class. Truly a genius.

Donny Hathaway--"Extension of a Man"-- This is Donny's greatest piece of work. PERIOD. The songs speak for themselves; "Someday We'll All Be Free", "I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know", "I Know It's You"...Besides Marvin Gaye and Al Green, probably one of the most emotive soul singers EVER. You cannot TRULY call yourself a fan of R&B/SOUL music and NOT own this album.

Lauryn Hill--Unplugged 2.0--Yes, yes, yes...I know. There has been much debate about this album. Either you LOVE IT or you HATE IT. Yes I also know that she only really plays 3 chords over and over again. But this album doesn't win "musically" per se, but it is the bone chilling lyrics that will knock you out. Listen to the album's standout tracks "Mr. Intentional", "Freedom Time", and "The Mystery of Iniquity" and you'll understand just how super-bad Ms. Hill REALLY is. ENOUGH SAID.

Rick James--Street Songs: Deluxe Edition--Before Dave Chappelle ever uttered the now infamously funny/annoying catchphrase "I'm Rick James Bitch" there was the GENIUS of Rick James. It is a shame that to most folks Rick's music is defined by just one song; SUPERFREAK. But you ought to pick up this Deluxe Edition of Rick's greatest album; Street Songs. From "Give It To Me Baby" and "Ghetto Life" to "Superfreak" and "Fire & Desire" this album established Rick as a genius in his own right. And the deluxe edition has the only released LIVE album of Rick's career. As one author so eloquently put it; "Rick was the bridge between P-Funk and Prince." There might not have been "Purple Rain" as we know it if it had not been for Rick's presence. We miss you Rick.

That's enough for now...enjoy ya Monday...

1 Comments:

Blogger The Divo said...

Hold on don't let go
even though your heart hurts you so
he'll never let go of your hand.

I felt a heaviness as I read this post.

The situation is bound to get better, but you have to claim and speak better things. I don't want to sound preachy, but the bible does say that we can "call things that be not as tho they were."

Set your atmosphere, change is a heavy thing but you don't have to do it alone...

You have my prayers and meditation.

As always in Parting,

I came in Peace and in Peace I leave.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home