Thursday, October 20, 2005

I'm Still Standing....

Man....

What a stretch of 5 months it has been for me...

Let's rewind shall we?

It's The last week of May. I am recieving what appears to be my LAST paycheck. Up to that point I can say I had truly been blessed. To be able to stay at my alma mater after my graduation and work in a position that was created for me by the PRESIDENT of the College...Doing the things that I love doing...mentoring younger students of color...programming...and being an activist. I managed to squeeze TWO years out of a supposed ONE-YEAR appointment. But it was seemingly over. The budget crisis hit us at the college hard and my position wouldn't be renewed. I would lose the roof over my head and the money in my pocket.

In preparation for this I applied to graduate school. Foolishly I took some bad advice and applied directly to Ph.D programs (without a Master's Degree). 5 applications and 5 rejections later my Plan B was down the toilet.

So I hit the cyber-pavement and the REAL pavement in search of a job. But the rejections came in one after the other.

May turned into June which turned into July and August. My fridge got emptier and emptier. I got hungrier and hungrier. I was rolling pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters to come up with the cash to simply buy some frozen french fries to eat and soap to wash with. I tried to keep smiling but when you are hungry it's hard.

My spirit and body were breaking down in syncronicity. I really began to feel as if I was being punished for my stubborness...my arrogance...my penchant towards procrastination. It was a spiritual Katrina. My reality was beginning to be washed away by a sea of negativity and indifference. And seemingly all I could do is sit and watch as it got worse and worse.

Every door I tried to walk through was slammed shut in my face.

Battered, bruised, and BROKE I continued to explore my options until, quite unbelievably, something positive came to pass...One of my co-works/friends was leaving to accept another position at another school and "I" would be his replacement.

What did that mean?

It meant TWICE the pay...

It meant double the apartment size (2 Bedroom)..

It meant that I had another chance to get it right.

So I'm here today in my office typing this entry...TIRED as hell...but a week away from the first money I will have seen in nearly 6 months. My body is still broken down from the lack of a PROPER diet. I am 5 to 10 pounds lighter because of it (which for a skinny brother like me is not good)..My energy level is extremely low..BUT...

I'm still standing and I thank the MOST HIGH everyday for the mental power s/he has bestowed upon me to continue walking, breathing, and being.

I had to be stripped of my pretentiousness and my pride before I could be receptive to what the real message was; That no one is immune from the tides of life...There can be no great gains without equally great losses. And the true lesson is not in the ENDS but, in fact, is in the MEANS.

I am humbled...

I am gracious...

I have newly evolved to a different stage of human-ness.

And tho I may have been a primary conspirator--however conscious or unconsciously--to my downfall, s/he who knew me before I knew myself would not concede to the plot.

I'm still standing and it's a beautiful feeling.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unconquerable Soul said...

THANK YOU JESUS! God is SO GOOD!

You have been in my prayer and I thank God for the lessons you have learned and shared. May your light continue to shine bright! May you never forget to seek guidance from the Devine in your time in need!

May God Continue to Bless You,

Your Brother,

TUS

1:12 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

great - great post. im glad you made it thru the savage process. also, you've learned ... proud of ya bruh!

1:50 PM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

STAND, BROTHA I SAID STAND!

THAT'S WHAT'S UP!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Yo - always remember...HIS strength is made perfect in our weakness!

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

6:25 AM  
Blogger WiseYoungMan said...

I want to thank you for sharing your post. You are probably helping someone who you don't even know just by saying "I was there, I made it out" and giving them inspiration.

Just think of how much more life experience you've gained by going through that, and how you can appreciate certain things you took for granted.

All things happen for a reason...

Just my thoughts.

10:59 AM  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

I had no idea...I'm glad you made it through...as ofcourse you would and have come out greater...great blessings

8:11 PM  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

read your story and felt your pain. you went through a tough time, but you hung in there. no doubt you've come out stronger and wiser, and you've proved to yourself that God does come through.

stay strong now.

peace

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home