Monday, October 24, 2005

Random Thoughts on a MONDAY

Let's see what's running through my mind....

---Is it ME or is anybody else thinking that the only reason the NBA is pushing this new dress code is to repair it's reputation with MIDDLE-CLASS, WHITE America after the disasterous fight between the Detriot Pistons and Indiana Pacers last season? The fact is that URBAN America and the experience of BLACKNESS in it has produced these incredibly talented young players and to attempt to change the prevailing aesthetic to appease the so-called "better/more civilized taste" of white folks is HIGHLY PROBLEMATIC. And don't give me the argument that "normal" people have to dress up in a corporate emvironment. These aren't people with NORMAL JOBS. I think as long as they are neat and presentable they should be able to wear whatever they want.

--The album "Sign O' The Times" represents Prince's GREATEST musical moment and artistic peak. This is the album that initiated my love affair with music and changed my life. If you have never heard this masterwork you ought to commit yourself to buying it and listening. I will be posting about it VERY soon.

--I don't get the minor hype about Keyshia Cole. She's got a cute voice for um...The shower..but on record? I think not. NEXT!

--South Park is BRILLIANT. all I have to say is Michael "Jefferson."

--Speaking of Comedy Central, "The Boondocks" will be premiering in about 2 weeks time. I know I will be GLUED to the television for that one. Also, you should check out "The Colbert Report." Good Shit.

--Payday is this Friday and I definitely will be steppin out on the town (NYC). It's been about 5 months since I been out so I am going to enjoy every moment. The kid is BACK!!

--I was an attendee at the "Million Family March" in 2001. While it was positive seeing so many of my people gathered together peacefully, it seems that nothing came out of the event except the requisite "ego stroking" of our so-called leaders and empty promises from those on the stage AND in the audience. Why do I feel the same sentiment about the most recent "gathering" of our people? What if there were speakers that asked Rev. Wilson about his past homphobic comments? or what if someone asked the good Minister Farrakhan about who killed Brother Malcolm? It's time for "us" to clean out the skeletons out of our political closets. I agree with many of the messages that were communicated at the event. It's my suspicion(s) of the ulterior motivations of the MESSENGERS that continue to keep me critical of it all.

--Am I the only one who is a MAJOR wrestling fan? Ever since I was a youngin I have LOVED it. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it's fake. SO FUCKIN' WHAT!!! I am still in front of the television every Monday night at 9. My favorite wrestler of all time you ask. Of course, RIC FLAIR!! Nobody beats "The Nature Boy." WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

--I been playing the hell out of Hall & Oates recently. "Your Imagination" is that FIREEEEEE!!!

--Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like we went striaght from summer to winter. For all of us in the Northeastern Corridor....expect to be in a WINTER WONDERLAND this go round. Not looking forward to it.

Alright...I have exhausted my randomness so I will stop here.

PeaceLoveandEternity...

Q

10 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

im so upset summer vanished - i loved sign o the times- if i was your girlfriend is one of the most brilliant songs of all time - i cant wait for the boondocks! and yes i LOVE South Park!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Quaheem said...

YES....."If Eye Was Ur Girlfriend" in so many ways represents EVERYTHING that Prince had been working towards in his career...it's PERFECTION!!!!

The sped up vocal track (Camille)...the wordplay...The spoken word piece at the end..

It's ECSTACY!!!

10:08 PM  
Blogger reef said...

Yo .. Ric Flair is still wrestling? Damn!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Rodney said...

QUAHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM! 'Scuse me... I used to do that to a brother with your name when I was chatting on BP waaaaaay back in da day! I just wanted to take the time to cosign on your comments about the MMM. I get so much "ish" because I chose not to go to either gathering. For some of the reasons you listed and others I made the conscience choice to avoid the event. For one thing I need an agenda and a plan of action. Don't tell me what must happen and give me no specific plan to accomplish the goal. That's ineffective... dontchathink? I don't know... I just think we need to think critically about the things presented to us. There was a call for unity with no clear plan for unification. The presence of Willie Wilson really put a lid on the unity piece for me early on. Did anybody else think his presence was strange...?

1:41 AM  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

I'm with you on Keyshia Cole. There's so much hype - so I downloaded the CD...then after listening to the tracks, I deleted them...I'm glad I didn't pay a cent for her stuff - it ain't all that great.

And yo - it is pretty cold in NYC>

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

7:44 AM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

I love Keyisha Cole! :)

South Park, Love it! Boondocks, Can't wait!
I love Drawn Together and Family Guy as well.

I was thinking about going to that Million Man March, but didn't know what to expect... doesn't seem all its cracked up to be, but we still have to support it.

I actually watched wrestling when I was younger and just started getting back into it when I moved into my new apartment... It is very entertaining! My first time watching RAW will be tonight, We can talk about it later.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmn, I feel you on that NBA dress code. As soon as I heard that, my suspicions came to the forefront. Dress Code? For Bball, that's ridiculous. I think it's actually an insulting suggestion, and prejudicial on many levels. But of course, look at where we live. What's new?

Yo I can't wait for the Boondocks either...the clips look good already *grinz*

3:29 PM  
Blogger KneeDeep said...

sign of the times, was and still is the bomb. "If I were your girlfriend" is my favorite as well...
KD

4:03 PM  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Yeah I think the NBA dress code is out of line...I can't wait to see boondocks, but I'm a lil scared that it won't have the same effect and edge as the strip...Keyshia Cole is a screamer/hollerer. Love those screamers...

9:42 PM  
Blogger BuddahDesmond said...

The NBA dress code is just more of the same....I am by no means surprised. I'm hyped up about the Boondocks. I can't wait! I agree with you about whole-heartedly about Prince's "Sign O' The Times." I look forward to your upcoming post about it. I've been a serious Hall & Oates trip for about two years now. I can't describe it but there's just something about their music....I do like Keyshia Cole but I will say this....She's in dire need of image consulting!!! And I feel you about the weather. I'm in upstate New York at school and they're talking about wet snow this week. It's crazy! Bye bye summer, unfortunately.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home