Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Random Thoughts on a Wednesday

Hmmm...let's see what's floating thru my mind..

--Shouldn't Pat Robertson be on the terrorist watch list given his comments about "taking out" Venezuelan President Chavez?

--So I am watching the Hurricane Katrina coverage on CNN and they spend about 10 or 15 minutes talking about "safety" in New Orleans and the looting situation (all while looping videotaped 'coverage' of black folks looting stores.) Shouldn't the covergae be PRIMARILY concerned with the rescue effort? Give it up to the media to "niggerize" an already downtrodden population of color who've just LOST EVERYTHING. Wouldn't you loot too? Where I am from we call it REPARATIONS. Hmmm, I wonder if White folks were looting as well? Maybe they conveniently lost that footage.

--The VMA's were quite possibly the worst award show I have ever seen. Besides Puffy giving himself a blowjob for 3 1/2 hours the performances left ALOT to be desired. If Sean Combs is the embodiment of what "The New Negro" is (check one of his T-Shirts from the show) then WE NEGROES are in trouble indeed.

--If I hear one more person call R. Kelly a genius I am going to SCREAM. No doubt, the brother is extremely talented and has found a niche. But there is nothing that challenges the audience in his work. When I think of genius one of the first pieces of work that pops into my mind is "What's Going On." You hear the cries, the contradictions, the anger, the pleading, the humanity. Though Robert Kelly has shown flashes of brilliance (think; "I Believe I Can Fly") In my humble opinion he has yet to challenge himself and his own beliefs/life on wax. A perfect example of this challenge is Gaye's "Time To Get it Together" (from, in my opinion, one of his best and criminally overlooked albums, "Here My Dear"). For R. Kelly to still be singing about hoes in the club given what he's ALREADY been through to me shows no artistic growth and is clearly emblematic of his non-willingness to make himself vulnerable artistically. His star is big enough at this moment in time for him to take that risk. So the verdict: TALENTED--most certainly...GENIUS--not by a mile.

--Isn't "Cookie: The Anthopological Mixtape" by Meshell N'degeocello just one of the best R&B/SOUL/URBAN ALTERNATIVE (or whatever restrictive label you want to use) albums released in the last 10 years?

--I have come to the semi-permanent conclusion that I will never practice religion in an organized sense ever again. I have had this disucssion with my God and s/he's ok with it. 4 years ago I just got tired of everybody else determining what the nature of our discussion(s) would be.

--Is it just me or is Oprah absolutely ANOTHER person out of makeup? Her people do a damn good job...Remember your spirit and your makeup artist...

Until next time..

PeaceLoveandEternity

Q

1 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

i just cant believe people would really call R Kelly a genius??? lawd in heaven...

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home