Thursday, November 03, 2005

Random Thoughts on a THURSDAY...

Hmmm..What a nice day it is today...Almost forgot it's November...

Let's see...

--I picked up Stevie Wonder's new joint "A Time To Love." I am a BIG Stevie Fan..I mean, TALKING BOOK, INNERVISIONS, FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE, SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, and the list goes on and on. To be honest I was afraid of what I was gonna hear...I mean such geniuses at times can get so caught up in their own nostalgia that they begin to simply becomes imitations of themselves...But "A Time To Love" is as focused an album as I have heard in a VERY long time. He's singing his ass off, playing damn near all the instruments (keys, drums and assorted percussion), and STILL writing incredible melodies after all this time. As much of a Prince fanatic I am I can't help but to think that "A Time To Love" has a sense of urgency that Prince's "comeback" record, "Musicology", didnt (athough there are stellar moments on that record as well..see the title track, "Call My Name"and, "On The Couch") . So Stevie gets 4 stars from me. BUY THIS RECORD!!! Period.

--Why am I seriously considering goin back to NYC tomorrow for another night out? Should be interesting..

--Kenneth Cole "Signature" is officially my favorite cologne.

--So I am re-applying to graduate school...Ohio State and Temple are on the list (MA Program in African American Studies)...Gotta find some more places to apply to. I miss being in a classroom. There is nothing like intellectualism in the Academy; though the parochialism and institutional racism, sexism, classism, and homophobia I can do without..But it's America so we either MANAGE it or die.

--In my opinion "Simply Beautiful" by Al Green ranks as one of the greatest songs/moments in Black Music EVER. I've never heard a vocal before or since that was so SOULFULLY restrained.

--Was it me or did John Legend BUTCHER "A House Is Not A Home."? His raspy, I-Need-Some-Tussin-Cold N' Cough, baritone just could not pull it off. He sounds good singing his own songs. AND why did Alicia Keys refer to Rosa Parks as "Unbreakable" before she went into the song which, ironically, begins; "We can fight like Ike and Tina"? I say...IGNORANCE!

--Where is the romance? I need to find some? You know...like a lunchtime phonecall at work or rose petals in bathwater, scented candles, dim lighting, and "Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite" on the stereo...WHERE OH WHERE COULD YOU BE???!!!!

--Isn't it about time for another BLACK OWNED cable network to pop up? One with substance and an interest in contributing to the advancement of black culture. Maybe a little competition would make BET finally get it's act together.

--And yeah, it's official....NELLY has been drinking milk.

That is all for now...

Get at ya boy...

PeaceLoveandEternity,

Q

7 Comments:

Blogger Unconquerable Soul said...

I always love your random thoughts! I just purchase Stevie's latest two weeks ago, why is it still in the wrapper,lol.

I heard TV One is off the meters! It seems like LOGO has more orginal programing than BET. Damn Shame!

Oh yeah, when you find where romance is.. holla at ya boi! I wanna know!

Keep on Pushin

11:42 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

I love Stevie. I must pick up his latest...

8:18 PM  
Blogger Pamalicious said...

Did you hear Al on Vh-1 Classic sing this with just an acoustic guitar? Made my body shiver. I really want to get this version! They have a show like unplugged for yesteryear musicians. OJays and Billy Idol have showed out on that bad boy!

4:18 AM  
Blogger Quaheem said...

Oh yeah....I saw that performance...UNBELIVABLE!!!!!!

I didnt know he could play...so when I saw that I went crazy..

that was CHICKEN GREASE indeed...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

Quaheem - good thoughts...Signature is the hottest cologne out there, ain't it? I love my friend Dame who giving that to me for my birthday? and Nelly sho' drank some milk, now I want some milk to go with him...LOL

2:00 PM  
Blogger Liber8Lyph said...

YEs YeS yes! I swear iM coming out with a Cultural TV Station (CTS)to wipe BET out. BET only play videos these days. Whats going on? THey finally have a show called Remixed. finally a show and not just playin music videos. Where is the romance?. I think it's hiding in my backyard shed. Im goin out there tonight with a flash light and a boy named...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm luvin your random thoughts, Quaheem.

Thought-provoking as always and I need the diversion.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home