Thursday, June 23, 2005

Jersey Bound & Random Thoughts

Well....in just a couple of hours I will be back in jersey for the weekend...in the place of my birth...SILK-CITY, P-TOWN, or as everyone else would know it...PATERSON...should be interesting indeed..Most of my time will be split between Jersey and NYC...I'll have to give you all my little weekend highlights when I return on Tuesday...

But as I was brushing my teeth and getting my clothes together this morning some random thoughts popped into my head that I felt the need to share...

(1) I find it interesting that in the midst of an ILLEGAL, IMMORAL war that is sending hundreds of thousands of poor, colored folks into the cradle of death that the Black Church remains, for the most part, silent about it all but as soon as the phrase "GAY MARRIAGE" is uttered we have protests and rallies lead by the so-called MEN and WOMEN of the cloth. Score another point for Karl Rove and the true enemies of FREEDOM in Washington D.C.

(2) Anyone who says that the gay marriage issue is not a civil rights issue is deliusional. Minus the question of morality (which, in my opinion is a red herring if there ever was one) this issue is about equal protection under the laws of the land. In the civil arena, marriage is a binding contract that has it's social, political, and ecnomic benefits.I n my estimation, Anti Gay Marriage legislation is equivalent in spirit and substance to the laws prohibiting miscegenation in the pre-Civil Rights Era. DISCRIMINATION is DISCRIMINATION.

(3) In the midst of the 10th Anniversary of the Million Man March I asked myself the question about our progress as a people...I ask this question hesitantly because I do understand that our PEOPLE exist in all different shapes, forms and spheres of life. We are rich, poor and (most of us) are struggling somewhere in between. But I would ask the question; Have we, taken in our eccentric totality as a people, began to navigate our way towards a better and brighter social, political, and economic future? Are those who are endowed with the educational, financial, and political resources in our communities using those resources to help positively change the condition of our people? Are we better off than we were 10 years ago? I think it is a wonderful idea to do the march again, but Black folk cannot afford to continue to just talk about it and not be about it...We've heard all the sermons....now let's have the benediction and hit the streets...

Just some thoughts I had.....

Maybe you were thinking the same thing too....

peaceloveandeternity...

Q

1 Comments:

Blogger reef said...

Point #1 that you bring up is right on target. The sad thing is, for most people gay marriage is a moral issue, and they are unwilling to bend on that. Hopefully this country will move on and truly live up to its ideal - for all people.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home