Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thanksgiving Craziness...Tales from the DRUNK side...and The Jumpoff

What a Thanksgiving it was indeed. Since I never go back home I had dinner with one of my best friends in the entire world and her family (2 daughters, 1 son, and 1 granddaughter). If you recall from previous posts I call her HartfordLady...

So I arrive at HartfordLady's house and as I enter I hear VERY loud salsa music (she is puerto rican). She comes in the room in a whilwind..dancing and singing the lyrics aloud. I can already tell that she's been sippin that Bacardi select and partaking in some of the "homegrown." {puff puff}...

I was instantly glad to be there. The first thing I did was fix myself a drink; 75% Bacardi Select and 25% Coke. Sat my ass down and got busy. About 4 drinks later the dinner was done and we all sat around the table and said what we were thankful for. I ate a modest amount and went back to my favorite part of any meal...THE DRINK. Hours went by and we went thru multiple glasses of Bacardi and multiple CDs. Rhythm Nation...Sheena Easton's Greatest Hits....Toni Braxton...Al Green...And THEN we got to the OLD SCHOOL MIX. That is when the dance-off happened in the kitchen. Michael Jackson's "Rock With You" came on and I proceeded to demonstrate the "knee slap" that MJ does in sync with the synth-clap in the video after he sings "I wanna roooock with you." That has always been my favorite part of the video...Nobody can slap his own knee to the music like Mike...lol. I also went on to demonstrate/point out the triple hit on the kick drum that occurs after the bridge and right before he "goes off" at the end of the song (all you TRUE music heads know what I am talking about)....

**sidebar**
Did I mention that in my drunkeness she convinced me to partake of the homegrown herbals? Good stuff actually...It just made things THAT much better!
**end of sidebar**

And then...We all lost it when "Candy" by Cameo came on. I had to yell "OWWWWWWW." I am indeed an 80's child to my core...Ironic that I was born the day MTV launched; August 2nd, 1981...Who would have known?

Anyways...

We all worked up a sweat and continued drinking until HartfordLady and I decided to head to the club and meet some college buddies of ours.

We hit the club. Met up with our folks. HartfordLady's lookin fly...Q is lookin fly. Everybody is doin it. I was in a different state of mind since it was a straight club. Get my two step on? Sure...But also just observe and be aware of my surroundings because unfortunately "niggaz" love to start some SHIT. But needless to say it was a drama free evening full of dancing, libations, and good spirits....BUT of course I had a complaint (which happens to be the same complaint about all the clubs in New England). They did the last call for alcohol at 12:40 am and flipped on the lights 10 minutes later...WHAT THE FUCK!!?? I was so heated I just didn't know what to do with myself. I was in a groove, feeling good, and then it's time to go. So I made a promise to make it up to myself by visiting the Octagon this coming friday. I intend to keep that promise. I have some more partying left to do. Life is too short not to enjoy it they way YOU want to.

One interesting observation I made about the club and most straight clubs in general are how brothas on the low operate in those particular environments. I caught a couple of interesting glares from a particular group of dudes...very masculine looking but a little too pretty to be completely straight...YES I know it sounds ignorant as hell but when you've been in this lifestyle long enough you become a MASTER detective...able to spot the slightest inclination towards a homosexual orientation...So yeah, in more simplistic terms, the GAYDAR was goin off like crazy. But I kept it cool; kept my glances under .05 seconds and moved on...just long enough to say: "Yeah, Nigga...I see you."

Wasn't pressed then...

Not pressed now...Just thought it was all so interesting.

While all of my Thanksgiving activities were going on I had a slight bug-a-boo situation. A young gentleman that I had some interesting encounters with and who had moved from Hartford back to Atlanta to finish his Master's degree work kept calling me...OVER and OVER again...He was in town for the holiday and I knew he wanted to see me. I also knew WHY he wanted to see me. So I ignored his calls...though I had to fight myself to do so. I mean, could I have used the physical stimulation? Damn right! But I decided in the end it was not going to be worth the emptiness that I knew I was going to feel the morning after. He's not my type at all...I actually don't even really find him all that attractive...But he did his job well so he won some points in the past...

But I realized some time ago that I aspire not to be a source of temporary satisfaction for a midnight caller...I need some persistent admiration.

I continued to hold out for the rest of the weekend. I let my voicemail greet his calls and went to bed truly THANKFUL that I could excercise some self control and stick to my principles. So me, multiple bottles of wine, and my hands kept me busy...

And I woke up on Monday morning...knowing that;

FRIENDS are beautiful.

LIFE is beautiful.

and

LOVE is on the way.

And I can drink to that!

Peaceloveandeternity...

Q

6 Comments:

Blogger Unconquerable Soul said...

Brotha Qua,

I can drink to that too! I had to fight off two weapons of mass destruction over there weekend. I'm seriously talking to someone and that karma stuff ain't nothing to fyck with.... Kudos to your weekend.

Hmmm, i'm wondering if i know Hartford Lady, she sounds like my kind of girl, LOL!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

boy, you had a good ol' time!!! I ain't mad at ya! here's to a wonderful Christmas!

5:42 PM  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Yes Yes Yes...good times! good friends !! Salud! BTW...I used to HATE the last call and cattle run out of the club at the same time...can a yella brother finish his Heneiken please? ::sidebar proud of you and no homeboy with his unattractive self::

7:54 PM  
Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

sounds like u enjoyed urself

9:00 PM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

I should role with u to the club, can u beleive I never been to the Octagon?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jameil said...

1240!! Oh hell no! But your Thanksgiving sounds marvelous! Ain't nothin like a good drink!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home