Friday, December 09, 2005

Random Thoughts on a FRIDAY

Hope you all are enjoying the SNOW!!! I know I'm NOT...

But here's what's been swirling around in my mind

--On December 26th, 1999 we lost one of the GREATEST songwriters who ever lived...Curtis Mayfield...My favorite Cutis joint? "Right On For The Darkness." He was a gentle genius and still is missed

--This coming February will mark my 5th Anniversary of single life. I am considering a formal celebration...maybe on Valentine's Day (the day I was cheated on 5 years ago).

--Black music needs a revolution. I am so tired of the "up-in-club-poppin-Cris-pullin-hoes-whiney-voiced-manufactured-psuedo-soul" bullshit..What happened to live instrumentation? What happened to LIVE singing? What happened to interesting chord changes? What happened to music with a message? Are we relegated to claiming KANYE WEST as the only savior of Black Music? It is a sad day indeed.

--Why are Shrimp Ceasar Salads my favorite meal these days? (p.s. I make them myself from scratch)

--After seeing the new transformed Nelly I must say it's appealing but for some strange reason I prefer skinny Nelly. I have a weakness for skinny dudes (being one myself).

--I have come to the conclusion that George Bush does not have the intelligence to be the LIAR that everyone has accused him of being (he is nowhere near the sophisticated liar that Clinton was)...He is guilty of the HIGHEST levels of incompetence for allowing the true scoundrels and intelligent liars (Carl Rove, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney) run rampant.

--Does Bush care about Black people? Hell no. But he doesn't care about poor people, women, gays and lesbians, or muslims either. Join the club of oppressed peoples.

--Does 50 cent understand how he's cooning?

--"Moonbeam Levels" is amongst my top 5 favorite Prince songs EVER.

--It's graduate school application time again. Hopefully I'll get into somewhere this go round. I have a good connection to the M.A. program in African American Studies at Ohio State so that may be my best chance. Of course there is Temple and Uconn; both of which I will be applying to as well. And my boss seems to think I should apply to Rutgers since it's my home state and IN FACT is a very distinguished institution. (P.S. In retrospect I should have gone to Rutgers for undergrad. I was accepted and because I was a resident and POOR I could have went for free. But I flew the coop and ended up in Connecticut.) Wish me luck.

--Why is Puffy/P.Diddy/Diddy still attempting to produce (with ghost-producers of course) music? It's not '95 anymore Diddy. Hang it up and stick to making overpriced clothing.

--Grey Goose is WONDERFUL isn't it? I stay in constant possession of a bottle.

--I wonder what innocent trouble I can get in in the city this New Years? All I need attractive, classy visuals...good music...good drinks. The search is on!

--Ya'll remember "The Snake" and "The Wop?" Moms used to put on a 45 (old skool heads know what I am talking about) and make me do those dances for company. Couldn't nobody get lower while doin the snake than ya boy!!!!! NOBODY!

--Bilal's "First Born Second", in my humble opinion, is the best R&B/Soul album released in the last 10 years. It is CRIMINALLY underrated. I dare you to name an album better!

I think that is it for now...

Have a good weekend...

Love somebody when you get the chance.

PeaceLoveandEternity.

Q

6 Comments:

Blogger Waddie G. said...

Quaheem - you hit the nail on the head with your thoughts on Black music...we seriously need a revolution. Diddy is over! Nelly does look waaaaaaaay better skinny because he's trying so hard to be like LL...I wonder if he's using steroids.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Charles X said...

thanks for the comment!

ima have to say go with rutgers b/c of its prestige and location! im about to transfer to a school up there myself soon.

1:16 AM  
Blogger reef said...

Interesting list here:

I own the Superfly soundtrack, and I love it. Whenever I'm in the mood to feel smooth, I throw it on.

As far as Black music needing a revlution, as long as we don't control publishing and distribution, it's not going to happen. We need to call the shots.

You're spot on with Bush simply being an idiot. The problem is that the people around him fuck around and take advantage of that fact. He needs to get better people around him, and not just people that will win at any immoral costs (Rove).

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG...yo, that Bilal album is too serious. Bilal is off the chain.

Track 14 stays on repeat...

Meanwhile, where is Bilal?

Meanwhile, lemme find out you looking for trouble in NY this New Years *grinz*

10:16 PM  
Blogger heartbreaker said...

I feel ya on the need for a revolution in black music. Today's music is just so tired and unoriginal. It's just constantly finding a new way to say shake ya ass, just exchanging the word ass for "laffy taffy" and "badonkadonkdonk... lol and Nelly ain't all that, bruh... ;) (that's just my opinion) and I loved how you pointed out that about Prez Bush, he don't like nobody that's not like him, so yes that includes black people... i've been saying that alllll along, FINALLY somebody who feels that too... anyway, i'm out... good luck w/ the school u wanna get n2, hoLLa @ me when u get a chance... lata

1:35 PM  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

Good luck on the grad schools man

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home