Friday, April 07, 2006

On: Why I Never Committed Suicide

Life is a struggle. A struggle between sanity and insanity, love and indifference, pain and pleasure, light and darkness. I have often wondered what has allowed me to remain here…here in this cruel cold place. All my life I have asked God only one REAL question; Why? Why does daddy hate mommy? Why don’t I have a family? Why don’t women find me attractive? Why did he tell me he loved me when he didn’t? Why have I lost everything? Why can’t I stop the voices in my head? Why can’t I just sleep? And it always seems that at the exact moment that I think I am going to get an answer the response is just more struggle…more pain…more frustration. And as I teeter closer to the edge and look to my left I see someone jump. I look to my right and see another person jumping. I look ahead of me everyday and wonder if jumping would be the answer or, at least, relieve some of the pain.

I sigh and continue to stand here silently as an actor…someone who has perfected the art of illusion…smiling to numb the sadness…telling a good joke to perhaps bring someone else the joy that I wish I could say that I truly have. And when the curtain falls I retreat with a drink in my hand and thoughts spiraling towards unsalvageable entropy in my head. There are days that I wonder why I hang on. There are mornings that I awake in my bed and feel exactly how I felt when I was 8…having cried myself to sleep and awakened spiritually fatigued...my face lightly moistened with the mist of last night's tears. People call me and I feed them my rage. One after the other they drop dead and, in my delusion, I convince myself that it isn’t my fault…But it is.

And so I fight myself on the daily...alone. Sometimes lonely. But always alone.

I’ve been kept here even when I have not wanted to be kept. And after seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years of manically trying to figure it out I can only come to one conclusion:

To fight.

To fight for myself. To fight for the freedom from my own mind that I rightly deserve. I realized that if my services were needed on the other side that I would have jumped and should have jumped along time ago. But the God that I know has informed me that my station is an earthly one. So here I stand. Broken. Sorrowful. Ashamed. Arrogant. Hopeful. Afraid. Resilient. Loving. Passionate. Guilty.

Here I stand. Looking for the Prophet inside of me and trying to fulfill the prophecy.

This is why I continue living.

12 Comments:

Blogger Clay said...

excellent post Quaheem.

9:13 PM  
Blogger heartbreaker said...

damn, bruh -- i agree, excellent post... that's deep, and i'm feelin u man... and that's a great lesson to learn, one i'm trying to believe in for myself right now, too... thanx

9:09 AM  
Blogger 4GOTTEN1 said...

This is definetly a great post. I felt like I was out there many times myself but I always managed to pull it back together. Thank you for this post.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

I really like this post...so heartfelt

6:13 PM  
Blogger Don't Oppress Me said...

You are sooo The Shit for writing this. Thank You.

‘Slurp Slurp’ indeed!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Liber8Lyph said...

That was quite refreshing..Im here for you, if u need me.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Marz said...

AWESOME.

I really needed this, THANKS.

-Marz

2:52 PM  
Blogger Rodney said...

I'm gon' run on just to see what the end gon' be.

That's a song my grandmama and 'nem sing sometimes. I believe it directly relates to what you're saying. Hope propels us and time brings patience and understanding.

There was a time when I used to hate to go to sleep... afraid I would miss something. My mother says I'm nosy as hell, which may be true, but that's part of the reason I go on... curiousity.

I believe the joys of life lie in the simple things. A song that I sing sometimes says...

When I look around and think things over, all of my good days outweigh my bad days. So I won't complain.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Quaheem said...

Yes Rodney...

You got it!

Faith is only faith if you place your hope in the unseen.

7:05 PM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

wow I love it! :)
Love the last line.

12:15 PM  
Blogger reef said...

Yo ... hold on man. You're right about faith though, the good are always rewarded.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Karamale said...

amen, brotha. i'm late to the show, but i think i walked in on the appropriate act.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home