Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Life

Life has a strange way of sneaking up on you and reminding you that perhaps you shouldn't be so comfortable...

After this long weekend I came to a hard, real, and somewhat painful realization that a particular chapter in my life is about to close...

When I left New Jersey and came to college in August of 1999 I was bright-eyed, eager, and passionate about the experience I was about to go thru...Those 4 years were some of the most transformative years of my life. I fell in love for the first and only time...I became more learned and cosmopolitan...I came to some serious conclusions about my sexuality...I challenged the administration to make the experience of students of color here more equitable and egalitarian as opposed to simply utilizing our OBVIOUS cultural difference for utilitarian means...I became an adult...I became a MAN...And then I was afforded the opportunity to stay here and work as a staff person and continue my "activism"...

God has been and will always be good to me...

I was able to find people who have become the family that I feel I have never had...People who tell me the truth...People who reserve judgement...People who ARE my friends and will be forever...

As I layed in bed this past weekend I came to the conclusion that to fight to stay here any longer would be delaying the inevitable: My return back to Jersey and, more importantly, back into my mother's home. This is what I have attempted to avoid for SO long but I think I have finally realized and paid closer attention to what God has been telling me thru the series of events that has transpired in my life over the course of the last 3 to 4 months...To get to the top sometimes we must take detours...So this is my commitment to myself....

This time next year I will have:

(1) Been accepted to a Masters program of my choice..Perhaps @ Temple, Columbia, or Ohio State

(2) Made a real commitment to my artistic self...singing, songwriting, & spoken word....

(3) Made it back on my own..

(4) Established a stronger realtionship with myself that is rooted in TRUST.

Life is not the 100 meter dash...It's a series of marathons...Only the spiritually fit will have the energy to compete....It's time to re-energize...

2 Comments:

Blogger N4R said...

Good shit man! Handle your business. I made a similar proclamation at the begining of this year and I am not where I need to be, but I am currently taking things into my own hands.

Good luck on what you do.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

I love it when I see others challenging themselves to be the best that they can be...

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home